Thursday 15 October 2009

No I won't be Kindle-ing......


I've looked into the e-book phenomenon and I've decided that Kindle (or whoever else puts out a digital book reader in the future) won't be getting my custom.

In the first place, I know that a book in print on paper will not breakdown - as long as my eyes last out so will the book.

My eyes of course are important to me and I'm not sure that anymore peering at font on a bright background is good for these older orbs - or for younger ones for that matter.

If I drop a book when reaching for the loo roll it may curl its corners or even damage its spine, but that's nothing a little sticky tape won't cure - if I regularly drop a Kindle I might not have a workable screen for long. And if I drop it in the bath......

When I haven't got money for the latest bestseller, then my local library is sure to be getting a copy in for no cost to my good self. E-books aren't free.

Books don't need nasty parts like lithium thinga-me-jigs and can eventually return to the environment with less negative effect.

I have old discs and tapes which can't be used anymore because technology changed too fast - printed books can last hundreds of years. The family bible is now over 400 years old.

So Kindle away world - I'll continue to hobnob with real books.

No comments: