Saturday 22 February 2014

The political fish rots from the head down.....


The Hoopla on 18 February 2014 revealed what many have suspected – the Abbott Government only makes a thin pretense of listening to the general public:

A person has died in an Australian prison camp on Manus Island, scores are injured. They were allegedly set upon by PNG police and locals wielding knives, machetes and stones.  
I called Scott Morrison’s office a minute ago.  I said, “I wish to convey my concerns about Manus Island please.”
The receptionist made that nasal noise we women make when our lips are pressed and sucked very tightly together in annoyance, “mmm.”
“Right,” she said.
“Well would you mind taking my name and number?” I asked.
“Fine,” she said.
I gave her my details and she made that “mmm” sound between every word and digit.  When I was done I said, “would you mind reading my number back to me please?”
Silence.  Not even a bitchy noise.  Then, “aherm, I’m sorry, I must have missed it.”
Not really making notes of concerns then, I take it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please credit this excerpt to Meshel Laurie ?

Anonymous said...

You know, if you got out into the real world and asked the average joe blow in the street...he does not give a tinkers about all of this.

They want the boats stopped end of story.

Polly said...

Thanks for putting this up via The Hoopla. When we stop caring about things done in our name, when we don't give a 'tinkers' about the death of a young man in our care, when money spent locking up those seeking our help instead of showing compassion and generosity, then we can no longer be proud to be the 'land of the fair go' or to profess we are a country of equality and kindness. Shame on us!!!

clarencegirl said...

Anon 10:29 22 Feb 2014
I am an "average joe blow in the street".